Friday, February 17, 2006

Rennida drawing and BN signing report

The above picture is an illustration I've been struggling with the past couple days (click image to see larger version). Having done so much work for publishers lately, I wanted to draw something just for the heck of drawing it and of course I wind up going back to the world of Rema for such a task! This is Rennida, a character that doesn't get introduced to us until halfway through the story or so. However, her part is pretty important so when I restart RM (which I'm thinking of just calling "Rema" from now on), I'm going to start it off with her story, kind of like a prelude. Doing this was a breath of fresh air despite the struggle I had. Looking forward to doing another illos as I write book 2 of S&S~

Huge thanks to everyone that trekked out to see me and Kazu (and Scott McCloud! How crazy!) at the Barnes and Nobles signing last night. I had so much fun, it was my second signing but I felt a lot more comfortable this time knowing what to expect. There were about a dozen folks there of varying ages and interests, some even knew about Reman Mythology! I was shocked! I have no idea how many people have read that comic but it was still very touching to me to hear that people there knew about it. =)

After speaking for 30-60 minutes the group broke for some signing and mingling with Kazu, Scott, and I. Scott brought his beautiful daughters, Sky and Winter, along with his equally beautiful wife Ivy. We had fun talking about Buffy and Inuyasha over dinner at Buca Di Beppo after the signing, where Kazu and I humbly asked Scott if he'd officiate our wedding. Shockingly, he said yes with a big smile! He even said he'd try finding the green checkered jacket he wears in Understanding Comics! How perfect! If I knew that this would happen years from when I discovered Understanding Comics at 16, I probably would've fainted. Kazu and I are both not religious, but we've dedicated our lives right now to comics and it was our interest in comics that brought us together so... asking Scott only made sense to us! I'm so happy~ Well, now to plan everything else about the wedding between projects! Should be an interesting challenge...

The lady in charge of the signing at B&N was kind enough to give me a 30% discount, so I went a shopping spree. Here's the book s I picked up:

The Stories of Eva Luna by Isabelle Allende, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (for Kazu), The Mysteries of Harris Burdock by Chris Van Allsburg, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku, Myth-Taken Identity by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye, Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (Signet Classics edition)

All of these were things I were meaning to get whether I've already read them or not, just thinking about reading them makes my heart soar. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment