Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chapter 6, first 15 pages

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while. With the last minute wedding planning and my book 2 due date just around the corner, it's comin' down the wire. Business first... My "Under the influeces" framed piece is available to buy on Gallery Nucleus' site along with unframed prints, if you're interested!

First fifteen pages of chapter six are pencilled... out of 52! 37 pp. to go! Chapter six is intense. Despite promising my editor (so patient!) that I was done rewriting, as I drew chapter five I had my solutions laid out in front of me by the way the characters were reacting to each other. I took a day off from drawing to type the last chapter's script one final time. When I was done, I literally jumped around the living room with a big smile on my face. >_<

In the end I realized the story's all about honesty. And in a romantic comedy, the moment the characters say what they really want to say is the story's climax, be it "I love you" or "I hate you!". I feel like it was a long journey to this point, but I had to get to know the characters well enough before I was able to wring out what was going on.

It's funny, I was feeling not so hot about the first book of S&S. But now that I have an ending that I'm happy with, it makes me feel very proud of the first book since it all ties together. It's like I was waiting all this time for the characters to tell me what they were really thinking, too. Funny how telling stories can be like that sometimes. It's like getting to know new friends (who all live in my head! Does that make storytelling like a form of controlled insanity?).

Speaking of friends... For those interested in seeing more process stuff from other artists, Indigo Kelleigh has started a livejournal group called Panel600 made especially with a focus on producing graphic novels. It just started so get in on it early whether you want to watch or contribute your own graphic novel making-of-special. =)

In other news I woke up this morning at six am. If you've been following my blog, you know what a big deal this is! It was rainy last night and I enjoyed the cloudy, excited atmosphere of all the birds and freshness that LA has after a good rain. I even walked out to the local parking structure to take a panoramic photo (click the image to see it)... =P

And now I get to play a round of cooking mamma before heading to bed, just to get up for more comics in the morning. See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment