Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Under The Influences

Proper scan coming later. This piece, "Under The Influences", is for the Gallery Nucleus show based on Saturday morning cartoons of days gone by called "After These Messages...". A lot of great artists will be there displaying homages to their favorite animated characters, and hopefully you'll be able to pick up prints of this at the show. When I thought about what to draw, I couldn't pick just one character so I decided to draw all of them.

For those interested, here's a list of the shows I drew from going right to left (sort of): poochie, popples, strawberry shortcake, rose petal place, peter pan and the pirates, snorks, my little pony, care bears, alvin and the chipmunks/the chippettes, miracle girls, the muppet babies, shampoo and ryoga from ranma 1/2, paddington bear, the wuzzles, rainbow brite, that cheesy zelda cartoon, magical fairy persia (my first ever anime, age 8!), tiny toons, and more ranma 1/2. I'm missing quite a few series, but it would've messed up the composition. Drawing all these characters, I realized how much they added to my visual vocabulary. It also made me realize how much television I watched when I was little, and made me wonder what the psychological effects were, if any. Well I'm a cartoonist now so I guess that's saying somethin'...

Anyway, the opening is on Feb. 10th from 7-11pm. Hope to see some of you there! Tomorrow I get to scan chapter 4, make shabu shabu for Svet and Dee (visiting from far off places!), and have a lovely girly slumber party with the two of them. Can't wait! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment